Student Visa: Training and Research Visa (Subclass 402)

Training and Research visa or Subclass 402 Visa scheme

This Australian Visa is for applicants who want to come to Australia and take part in job trainings, academic research, or in professional development schemes. This visa has three (3) streams:

  • 1. Occupational Trainee
  • 2. Professional Development
  • 3. Research

Eligible applicants must:

  • • Be sponsored by one of the following:
    • o Training or research sponsor
    • o Approved professional development sponsor
    • o Approved visiting academic sponsor or occupational trainee sponsor
  • • Meet the visa requirements, including health and character requirements.
  • • Support him/herself financially
  • • Have a family member accompanying him/her while staying in Australia

The validity of the visa depends on which Subclass 402 visa stream the applicant has applied:

For occupational trainee, the visa holder is allowed to stay in Australia for maximum of two years (24 months). For professional development, the visa holder is allowed to stay up to 18 months. For research, the visa holder is allowed to stay in Australia for 12 months (1 year).

If the visa holder wishes to stay further in Australia, he or she must apply for a news application. Except for Professional Development stream; applicants for this stream must be outside Australia.

Subclass 402 allows Occupational Trainee and Research stream visa holders to bring a family member to accompany them in Australia. Occupational Trainee family members can work up to 40 hours a fortnight.

Subclass 402 creates opportunities for students who want to take part in trainings and enhance their career opportunities in Australia.

For more information about student visas, contact International Australian Visa Services at, or call us at (02) 5219484 for our Manila office or (045) 304 0384 for our Angeles office.